Saturday, October 3, 2020

 "Danforth"

Runaway Daydreams takes place in the fictional town of Danforth, New Jersey, based on my adopted hometown of Piscataway (the town no one can pronounce 😄 - I've heard "Piss-ka-taw-ee," "Pee-scatta- wee" and "Piss-katooey" - the correct pronunciation is Piss-CAT-away.)

I knew I'd like Piscataway when I saw the sign saying "Welcome to Piscataway, founded 1666." That's, like, a hundred years before 1776!

Historical! And legendary.

Among other well-known ghosts is one inhabiting the Metlar-Bodine House, which dates to 1728:



The tales of "sightings" or "sensings" are remarkably vague (icy temperatures, etc.) and the explanations sound dubious (a feuding next-door nighbor of the original Mr. Bodine, the judge from the Halls-Mills murder case in the 1920's). But the house is fantastic, isn't it?

The house and its supposed "hauntedness" are the inspirations for the Little House and its ghost, "Uncle Andrew," in Runaway Daydreams. 



No comments:

Post a Comment