Last Couple Standing - Review
Last Couple Standing
by
by
I read Norman's first two books, and they both had appealing qualities - interesting characters and some nice observations, and even though I didn't exactly love them, I looked forward to reading his next book thinking it might be a little bit deeper. But "Last Couple Standing" has a premise that was pretty unbuyable - when their three "friend couples" all get divorced, the wife proposes having a somewhat open marriage so they'll stay together before boredom sets in, or maybe it already has. What's unbuyable is that she's a therapist. Shouldn't she have a clue as to the repercussions of this plan? Indeed, things go terribly wrong, but there are also funny bits. No problem with that, life is sad and funny, but the next-to-last scene is Marx Brothers - type farce, totally incongruous with the intense and disturbing emotions the couple has gone through. This book just didn't work for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment